Participation in athletics and extracurricular activities is considered a privilege, not a right, and students wishing to participate are required to meet standards of personal behavior and academic performance. Although participation in extracurricular activities and athletics is a valued complement to its educational goals, Corona del Mar middle school (CdMMS) recognizes that the academic program must have top priority in the educational process. CdMMS is well aware of the importance of the activities program, but it also recognizes that activities should never overshadow the emphasis placed on classroom work.
Extra-curricular activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Middle School athletics program
- Special assemblies
- Field trips
- Any/all end-of-the-year activities
Eligibility will be based on academics, attendance and citizenship. Any student not meeting the criteria in any area will be excluded from any activities during that grading period. Grading periods include both progress as well as quarter grades.
- To be eligible to participate in extra-curricular activities at CdMMS, a student must maintain a 2.0 GPA with no more than one “F’.”
- Grades are checked at the end of each four and a half week progress period and each nine week quarter grading period. Eligibility will be determined by progress/quarter grades. If a student fails any two (2) or more subjects as indicated on the progress report or report card, he/she will become ineligible to participate in extracurricular activities. Ineligibility will continue until the next progress/quarter grades are posted, at which time his/her eligibility will then be reassessed.
Extra-curricular eligibility is determined by the posted grade and in no case, other than computational error, will eligibility status be changed due to “make-up” or “extra-credit” work completed after the posting of grades. An “Incomplete” grade, for purposes of eligibility, shall be considered a failure until the final grade is posted.
- Students enrolled in CdMMS must be in attendance at school for the entire school day in order to participate in any school-sponsored activity that is conducted on that day. In no case shall a student whose absence is unexcused for any part of the day of the activity be allowed to participate in that day’s activity.
Additionally, students will lose privileges for the following infractions:
- 3 (three) unexcused absences including “cuts”.
- More than 5 (five) cumulative tardies during the progress/grading period.
- 2 (two) administrative assigned before/after school detentions
- 1 (one) administrative assigned Saturday detention
Suspension from school shall render the student ineligible for participation in extra-curricular activities during the period of suspension.
- To be eligible to participate in extra-curricular activities at CdMMS, a student cannot have more than 2 (two) Unsatisfactory (“U”) marks in citizenship during any progress/grading period. Any student referred to the office for a school rules violation may be denied the privilege of participation in any extra-curricular activity.
In the event of athletics, a student deemed ineligible for any of the above reasons is to be permitted to continue to participate in any practice sessions, as applicable to the sport, but is not to be permitted to participate in any contest or performance involving the extracurricular activity. If a student regains eligibility prior to the end of the sport he/she may participate in any remaining contests.
Thank you for helping Corona del Mar middle school bring out the best in your student. Together, we can make the middle school years truly successful,
Jake Haley, Ed.D
Principal, Corona del Mar Middle / High School